Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2

Is this Scary or What?  
 Yes, I am a witch again!  It's scary how every year I look better in my witch costume.  I think it's because I've gotten better at drawing those lines around my eyes and mouth!  Then of course I let Halle get a great angle on me.  The up the nose shot is oh so flattering!  It is sad when the green powder actually makes you look better( :
 Dorothy!  Darn it I really did need that green face!  Every year I think it would be fun to coordinate our costumes, but no one wants to.  This year me and Halle actually went together and I did not even know it!  While trunk-or-treating a guy says, "Hey it's Dorothy and the Wicked Witch!"  It was then that I realized I had coordinated our costumes with out even knowing it!  If I had only known I would have for sure gotten that green powder for my face!!!
 So this time we went for the cool Rocker Girl.  Notice the hair is not ratted and the make-up is not quite so 80's!  I guess I dated myself with the first Rocker!
 Mummy Boy!  Hayden now has black hair for this costume!  He cracked me up!  He was always in character.
 Kelton also in character.
 Family Picture 1 and 2.  I couldn't decide which one to delete.  I look scary in both and the kids look good in both.  
 So here goes our Trunk-or-treat experience!  This year we decided to go all out!  
 We scoured the house for supplies!  Black garbage bags, duck tape, a few skeletons, some cobwebs, Brent's  phone's flashing strobe light, and one scary MUMMY!
 Obviously I saw the scary picture Halle took of me and decided I should stay out of the pictures!  We won third place!  I wish you could have seen us throw this together, you would have died laughing.  I ask Brent, "so what are we trying to do(as he is duck taping garbage bags to the top of the car)?  He responds with, "I don't know?"  Wow, what a great plan!  I guess sometimes you don't need a plan, just do it.  Hayden was so excited to lay in the back and when the kids came under the garbage bags and stuck their hands through the cobwebs into the candy bowl, Hayden would scare them.  He wouldn't scare the little kids, but all the bigger kids loved it.  I think he loved it most! 
 When me and Halle got into the back of the car with Hayden he kept telling us we had to get out and that we were ruining it, because we were not scary enough!

 Obviously we were proud of our award!
 Hayden playing the part!
 They gave out sno-balls and ice cream cones at our trunk-or-treat.  I think everyone had a really good time.  I think this was the best trunk-or-treat I have ever been to.  Over half of the people that came were not members of the church.  Everything flowed really nice and it wasn't that crazy feeling even though there was a lot of people.  Everyone here really goes out of there way to be nice to each other, like they really like you.  It really is hard to explain.  I'll keep trying to figure it out!
 Sometimes the oldest gets lots of pictures!
 Kara a Rocker from 2011!  Theme: lots of black eyeliner,single pink stripe to the hair with pink tips!
 This mummy was always a mummy!
 Oh yeah, the PUMPKINS!  This is what we like to do!  We get all dressed have 5 minutes until we are suppose to go trick-or-treating!  Then we say "Hey we forgot to carve the pumpkin!"  Hurry, hurry, hurry and carve the pumpkin!  The Quaker oats are just a promotional thing.  If I take pictures with brands in the back of my photo's I get paid!  Just kidding!  I wish, right!  Really I just went to the store earlier that day,set the Quaker oats on the table instead of taking them up stairs and well there still there 4 hrs later.  I do have an excuse.  I hurt my back doing decline push-ups.  The funny part is I had just told Brent I never stretch and I've never pulled a muscle (he was stretching).  I now have sympathy for everyone with back pain.  It really is debilitating.  Walking up the stairs to my house is excruciating.  I think the real reason I hurt my back is not because I did not stretch it is because I wanted to fit in in Mississippi so I've been growing a bigger butt!  Well the extra weight from my butt popped my back out somehow, because I couldn't hold it up while trying to do a push-up.  I know it's a sad story.  That is mean of me.  People in Mississippi don't have big Butts!  I just said that to make myself feel better.  Back to Halloween.
 Our nice neighbor hooked his trailer up and took us trick-or-treating!!
 Hayden, Halle, and  Claudia!  Aren't they cute!  Hayden and Claudia's mom just had a new baby!  
 They are the spunkiest little girls I've ever met with the cutest little southern drawls!


 Mr. Incredible helped us move into our home!  They are a really nice family in the hood!
 Halle 
 Brad Ladner, Kara, Brent, and Rusty!
 A ghost in the night!



 They all had so much fun!  There were so many people out trick-or-treating.  The funny thing was all the adults were dressed up too!


 Lots of stairs in the neighborhood!  Kelton wanted to go to some rich peoples houses to see if they would give out more than just one piece of candy.  He thought running up and down stairs was a lot of work for 1 tootsie roll.  All the big house turned off their lights.  



 The crew!  Hayden went with the orange hair and Kara went with the side pony and the purple stripe for tonight!  
 I felt kind of bad Hayden had to go trick-or-treating with all the little kids.  He was a good sport. Hopefully next year we will have made some good friends so we can have a haunted house under our house or something.  The boys really wanted to decorate it spooky under the house and up the stairs.  I think it could be turned into something pretty fun!
 CANDY!
One last scary photo!  Hayden stayed true to character all night and walked like a Zombie to and from every house we went to.

Now I get to put all the Halloween stuff away!  Actually I've been asking Brent if I could put it away for the last couple of days, but I've been dreaming of putting it away for the last couple of weeks.  I know I'm no fun!  I just can only take so much clutter before something inside of me just starts to go crazy!!!!!  It's weird too because my house isn't even close to straight all the time.  Kara even asked me the other day, "Mom how come our home isn't always straight with everything put away like.............  (she named all of her friends and of course relatives homes too.  I'm not naming any names, but I'm sure you all know who you are!)" Maybe that is why I can't take having to many decorations up at a time.  I think I'm doing it wrong.  I know Natalie told me once to take down my regular decorations before I put up my holiday docor.!  Next year I will do that for sure, because next year I will have figured out what my regular decorations are, but for now I'm just going to put everything away by 2:40pm and then I'm going to meditate until 2:50 when I pick the kids up, then the house will turn into a bomb, and then Brent will come home and say, "what did you do today?"  I love that part of the day!  Actually I am grateful for all the mess, the dishwasher, the laundry, the dirty socks that my kids leave laying around the house no matter how many charts I make to motivate them to put them into the hamper.  I know one day everyone will be all grown up and I'm really going to miss all of this! 

I know that I have written way to much, but I have to write one more story that has nothing to do with the above. I just wanted to add it for records sake!  So Sunday night the kitchen sink gets clogged.  No amount of plunging can unclog it.  Baking soda and vinegar followed by hot water does not work.  Drain-o does not work.  You get the idea!  BAD CLOG!  Time to call a plumber.  Well there is a nice guy in our ward with a real thick southern accent that is a plumber.  So we called him!  He showed up at 9 am to fix the sink!  Thank goodness, because I was dyeing with out my kitchen sink, plus I think the fumes from the Drain-o stuck in the sink were killing us.  He actually said, its not really a good idea to put Drain-O in to unclog things, because if it does not unclog it, it will just sit above the clog and harden, and then it ruins your pipes!!!  I was talking to him and he was telling me about Katrina.  He lost his home in Katrina.  He said that the stake president called them and told them to get out now.  So they grabbed a change of clothes and left, thinking they would be coming home in a few days like all the other times they had evacuated.  Well this time they came back to nothing.  There house actually was further from the beach than the church.  The church only got 3 feet of water and they got 28 feet of water.  I guess it was because of the way the winds were blowing.  He said him and his wife came back first.  They had to cut their way back to their home, because it was blocked by debris etc.  The first house in their neighborhood was a little old lady that was laying on her kitchen table.  He felt really bad because he said she probably never even knew it was coming.  Another family in their neighborhood was also killed.  The father was found dead in the tree, the mother was under the house, and the kids were in the pool.  His house had been lifted up and was laying on it's side 20ft down the road.  He said they could see stuff inside, but could not go in to get anything because the house might collapse on them.  The national guard then came in and forced everyone out because of the looting.  He said everyone was treated like a criminal.  I guess people were even shooting at volunteers, because they thought they were trying to take their stuff.  He said it was complete chaos.  He finally did rebuild.  At first the gov. issued them 2 fema trailers.  Each had a small double bed in it.  They have 4 kids so it was really tight.  Then he got a mobile home and invited everyone who still did not have a home to live with them.  For 6 months he said it was totally crazy with all their friends and some family living with them.  He said that they never could have made it with out the church.  The church donated so much money to the area and bought him 500 sheets of sheet rock.  He said they never could have done it with out the church.  He told the story way better than me, but I just thought it was amazing.  He said it wiped out every bit of there savings and now things are really tight for them.  It just has not been the same since Katrina.  He also said, if it happens again he won't come back it was absolutely horrible.  Oh and they did not pick up the bodies, just put beacons on them.  They were only looking for survivors, so all around you was a constant reminder of death and destruction.  The moral of the story for me is don't take things for granted, life can change in a twinkling of an eye, nothing is impossible, and love love love your family.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, what a story Alison. Thanks for sharing, it does make you want to treasure everyday that life is normal.
And WOW about your costumes... you are the BEST mom ever to go all out for Halloween, I could not believe how good your whole family looked. That really makes me want to try harder next year- I bet your kids will have great memories of you being so fun and into it. My hat is off to you!

Melissa said...

You guys are so fun!! Congrats the big car decorating win. You deserved it! Everyone looked great in their (2nd round of) costumes too! We love the rocker of 2011 look Kara! Alison~I'm so sorry to hear you hurt your back. :( Hope it get's better quickly! The last story you told was so touching. I am sure only those who experienced Katrina first hand really know how tragic and devastating it was. I appreciate you sharing. It's such a good reminder to live with a thankful heart. Everyday is a gift. Hugs from all of us!