Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Trip to the Hospital!

Halle at the hospital, taken from my cell phone! Halle reading a book she was really out of it here! She couldn't talk at all at this point.
Breathing treatment.
Completely knocked out!

So here we are at the hospital after Halle got a peanut close to her mouth. It was pretty scary we even ended up having to use the epi-pen before we rushed her to the hospital. Lets see she started out vomiting and then started to have trouble breathing. We had already given her 2 doses of Benadryl, and so decided it was time for the epi-pen. Dallas came over and helped Brent give her a blessing and then we were off to the hospital. Grandma came with us. Halle was very pale at this point. By the time we got to the hospital she seemed to be breathing a little better, but had broken out in hives all over and was itching her head, neck, and ears a lot. Her SaO2 levels were pretty low so they started her on a breathing treatment and started an IV on her to give her some meds. She responded well and they kept us overnight to make sure she was O.K. They sent us home with prednisolone to give to her for the next 5 days(you know the happy pill j/k)!
The hospital stay was long to say the least. I haven't had to stay awake all night in a long time. Halle slept pretty good until we received a room with another bed where I could lay down. They came in about 1am to give her her meds through her IV. At about 1:45 her IV came out of her hand and sprayed blood all over the room. Halle then woke up and was very upset that grandma was not with us anymore. She also was upset that she was at the hospital. She said "I don't want to be here I want to be at home in my bed with my mommy and daddy!" She was awake the rest of our stay. She was hungry and did not want anything hooked up to her. She was happy to go home and we are so grateful to have her home with us, and are a little nervous about her eating anything!!
Brent was home with the other kids and Kara began throwing up with the flu! When it rains it seems to poor! Happy everyone is alive! Happy to be tired! Happy to have lots of laundry! Happy to kiss all my kids goodnight tonight!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I read your post and had a bit of panic. My little Thomas has a nut allergy, too. I am always so afraid of something like that happening. We have only had one reaction (knock on wood)so far. I am glad to see everything came out okay.

Was that the first time using the epi-pen? We carry ours everywhere in a little case we refer to as Thomas' "nut sack." I know, that is so bad, but we get a laugh out of it everytime we are at some public function and yell out, "Hey, don't forget to grab your nut sack!"

Jenni said...

Wow, scary! How many times has this happened? I think it would be so hard keeping peanuts away from my kids because it is such a common thing. She didn't even eat it? I am glad she is okay. I hope the rest of you won't get the flu and that you can get some sleep.

Nead Family said...

Oh my goodness, Allison...poor Halle! I didn't know she was so allergic to peanuts! Hope you can get some sleep soon and that Halle and Cara can feel better soon!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

I was hoping you would have the update on here so I could hear what happened! :( What a scary thing! I am glad you are all home and cozy together now!

The Dobbs said...

Ty and I read that last night. How sad and SCARY! Poor little Halle. Aren't priesthood blessings the greatest. I'm so glad everything is o.k. What is with this family and peanut allergies??? We love you all so much.
HED

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

Sorry about all the rain Ali! Isn't it crazy how some of us get so much rain it floods and others just have sunny skies! I have to admit (it's sick of me) but I was hoping you were at PCMC so we could come and visit you! But I am glad that Halle is doing better. Hang in there. Love you.

The Hyde's said...

That must have been scary! I didn't know Halle had a peanut allergy. I am glad she is feeling better and you are all home now. Hope the rest of the family is over being sick too. Happy Valentine's Day!!!